- Joyful and uplifting image of Happy Buddha
- Hand-carved out of Suar wood
- Measures about 16”H, 10”W, 5”L
- Crafted in Indonesia
- Natural variation in wood grain enhances unique appeal
- Image shows organic variation in appearance
The image of the Laughing Buddha is based on a wandering Chinese monk, Budai (Hotei, in Japanese) who lived centuries ago and is believed to be Maitreya, or the Buddha to come. The statue's plump figure and benign countenance suggest contentment, magnanimity and plenitude. Folklore has it that rubbing his pot belly brings good fortune and wealth.
Made by skilled Indonesian artists, each statue is individually made with unique organic finish and natural variation in wood grain and color – making your statue truly one of a kind. Measures about 16 inches high, weighs about 8-9 pounds, although each statue may vary slightly in size. Made of single log of wood – natural grain and texture variations and imperfections in wood surface are characteristic of this artistic tradition.